Counseling FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)


How can I get a progress report?

  • Parents can email teachers at anytime and request an update on their student's progress. Each teacher's email address can be found on the CHS website.
  • Capital High School uses Skyward Family Access for student information including current progress in class. Please contact the Counseling Center for directions on how to log in.

How and when do I get scholarships?

  • The Financial Aid Office of the college attended. Be sure to contact them early and pay attention to their deadlines.
  • Capital High's Career Center. All scholarships offered to current students are updated regularly.
  • Internet scholarship search engines. These scholarships draw from a larger pool of students and can be harder to get.

When do I apply for college?


Applications for four-year colleges

  • Available online through their website.
  • Usually available starting in October of your senior year
  • Deadlines can be as early as October 15 or November 1, so be sure to know the deadline and apply well in advance


Applications for two-year community and technical schools

  • Available online
  • Complete as early as December of your senior year
  • The earlier the application, the better chance to get into specific programs and classes.

When do I apply for financial aid?

  • Students can apply for financial aid at their desired colleges at the same time they apply for admission.
  • Colleges use the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) form which should be filed online and is available beginning October 1 of your senior year.
  • Colleges use the information from that form to determine your student aid. You will usually get an offer of student aid at the same time you receive your acceptance from a school.
  • CHS offers a Financial Aid 101 presentation at our Fall Senior Information Night and we offer a FAFSA Hands-On workshop in October to help families complete their forms and ask questions.  
  • The Olympia School District also has a Financial Aid 101 presentation at every OSD College and Career Fair (offered in October).

How do I get my student's name off the military recruiter lists?

  • By law, the district must provide military services with student information unless the parent/guardian requests otherwise in writing.
  • The form to request this is available in the Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook given to each student at the beginning of each school year.
  • Usually the deadline to do this is mid-October; check with the high school for the exact date.
  • Signed forms should be returned to the main office and must be redone each year.

What Entrance Tests Are Required for College Admission?




  • Focuses on four subject areas: English, math, reading skills, and natural sciences.
  • Scores range from 1-36. The composite scores is the average of the four subject areas.
  • A writing test is offered as an option. Students are advised to choose this option. 
  • On-line registration can be located at the above link.  Paper forms may be obtained from the Career Center.
  • Students are encouraged to take the ACT in the spring of their junior year or the fall of their senior year.



  • The College Entrance Examination Board (College Board) offers the SAT Reasoning Test as a measurement of the verbal, mathematical, and writing abilities a student has acquired throughout the years of his or her education.
  • Combined scores for the SAT Reasoning Test range from 200-2400 or 200-800 for each 3 divisions.
  • On-line registration can be located at the above link.  Paper forms may be obtained from the Career Center.


  • The College Entrance Examination Board (College Board) offers Subject Tests to measure a student's ability in particular subject areas.
  • Most highly competitive colleges require Subject Tests, in addition to the SAT, or the ACT.
  • Check with each individual school.

Are There Fee Waivers for College Entrance Exams?

  • Yes, fee waivers for the SAT, Subject Tests, and the ACT are available in the Counseling Center.
  • Fee waivers are granted based on family income.

What is the PSAT?

  • Offered by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC) and the College Entrance Examination Board (College Board), the SAT is designed to measure mathematical, verbal, and writing abilities necessary for success in colleges.
  • Scores range from 20 to 80 for each division of the test. The test is a preparation for the SAT.
  • It is also used by the NMSC to determine candidates for the National Merit Scholarship Program and the National Achievement Program for African American Students.
  • 1% of students with the highest nationwide scores may be eligible for further scholarship consideration.
  • Many students scoring between 95-99% are awarded Letters of Commendation in recognition of their achievement.

What is the Common Application?

  • The Common Application is used by over 500 colleges, mostly private, throughout the country.
  • One form utilized by so many colleges allows for students to streamline the college application process.
  • If a student is submitting his or her application online, he or she can work on the application over the course of several months before submitting it.

What is the difference between Early Action, Early Action Single Choice, Early Decision, Early Decision II, Rolling Admissions and Regular Admission?


  • EARLY ACTION: An early action process whereby a student can submit an application by November 1 (or other designated date) and receive a decision by mid-December. The Early Action student, if accepted, is not bound to enroll. Students are not required to notify the college of their enrollment decision until May 1 and they can apply to other colleges early action or early decision.

  • EARLY DECISION : An early application process that carries a binding commitment to enroll, if accepted, to the college. Student and parent must sign that if admitted, the student will attend the college/university regardless of financial aid award. Colleges will share early decision lists, so all other applications must be withdrawn. Students not admitted under Early Decision are reconsidered with the regular decision candidates. Students and parents will not be informed of financial aid prior to admission. A small number of colleges have a second round of early decision called early decision II. This deadline is usually around January 15th with notification one month later.

  • REGULAR DECISION: The most common application process in this country. Students usually apply to colleges between January 1st and the 15th, are notified of the decision by April 1st, and then must let the college know whether they will matriculate by May 1st.