Technical Colleges

Technical Colleges

Occupational training is offered at community and technical colleges throughout the state to give students the skills and knowledge for direct employment or career advancement in business and industry. Community colleges and technical schools are open to all residents. Associate of Technical Arts degrees and certificate programs are offered in a variety of areas which will vary by school.

For information on the offerings at local community colleges, use these links:

South Puget Sound Community College

Centralia College

Pierce College

Tacoma Community College

Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges

For information on the programs offered at local technical colleges, use these links:

Bates Technical College

Clover Park Technical College


During apprenticeships, students work as a full-time paid employee of a company. They are paid a percentage of a full qualified worker's rate and receive regular increases. Apprenticeship programs are often affiliated with labor unions, contractor groups, or government agencies and are licensed by the state. The employer or sponsor also often pays for related classroom training at a vocational/technical school or a community college. For information on apprenticeships, go to the Labor and Industries website.

Labor and Industry

New Market Vocational Skill Center


The Armed Services provides vocational skills training to succeed in one of the many military occupations in return for a commitment of time. Because the career, training, and educational opportunities are different for each branch of the military, students should talk to recruiters representing different military branches. For more information on a military service option, see a local recruiter or go to one of the military websites:




Air Force

Air National Guard

Army National Guard

Coast Guard


Americorps is a national service corps in which individuals work for 1 or 2 years helping communities with their education, public safety, and environmental needs. After a year or service, students receive an educational award to be used for further education. For information go to .