Jan. 4, 2017 Department Meeting

Jan. 4, 2017 Department Meeting

WHERE: CTE Staff Room
WHEN: 7:15 AM
PRESENT: Amanda Beers, Steve Bellande, Angel Elam, Brenda Grabski, Scott Le Duc, Allison McFadden, William Murray, Kevin Wright, Kathy Watts

NOT PRESENT, BUT PRESENT IN SPIRIT: Kristina Cummins, Andres Lopez

See norms at Meeting Norms

ACTION ITEMS:

  1. **Goal worksheets to me – 2 sentence summary of goals/progress for presenting - DONE
  2. Who will present at staff meeting? - DONE

NOTES FROM DEPARTMENT COORD. MEETING

AGENDA:

  • Review Dept. Head meeting notes

1. PLCs

  • Who will present at January staff meeting? (3-5 min. about goals of each group) **I only have Angel and Brenda’s in the CTE Dept. notebook at this time. DATE CHANGE: JAN. 23.
  • Jan. staff meeting – each department will present current status, good work, etc. 2-3 minutes by one department member.
  • Kevin and Brenda will present their PLC group

2. Tardy Expectations

  • 30% of students have at least 1 tardy, 5 students have 10+

2015-16

Percentages

2016-17

Percentages

Total Number of Students

1380


1420


Total Number of Students w/Tardy

436

35.20%

356

33.50%

Students with 0 Tardies

944

68.50%

1064

74.90%

Students with 1-4 Tardies

402

29.20%

306

21.60%

Students with 5 - 9 Tardies

30

2.10%

45

3.20%

Students with 10+ Tardies

4

0.20%

5

0.30%






  • PLEASE follow the tardy policy – some teachers are allowing students to walk by the administrators and not requiring a pass to enter after the bell. Consistency will mean equity among students.

3. CORE 24 committee – at district level; Curtis, Michelle, Jenny M., Ken J. Monthly meetings; admin is checking with adjoining districts for what they’re doing. NEXT YEAR’S 9TH GRADERS WILL BE UNDER THE CORE 24 RULES.

  • Brenda shared Black Hills investigation of alternative schedules and decided to keep their current schedule
  • Many believe trimesters are the best way to support Core 24

4. Digital immersion – 8 teachers are “researching” options, trying things to work out kinks. Eventually all kids will have laptop at school. Many programs also available as aps for home use if no computer there.

5. Club Time Discussion

  1. Temporary fix: Club time will be conducted like Wed. mornings, with roll taken and no students allowed out in the halls/commons.
    • i. Jane and Jen H. are working in PBIS to develop expectations (for tardies, assemblies, hallways, etc. as well)
    • ii. January – communicate to students expectations
    • iii. All teachers/other staff must be available at this time – will publish a list of what’s happening
    • iv. Present via CNS; hard copies for areas without CNS
  2. Emphasis is on clubs – no other “mandatory” meetings or classwork make up.
    • Some coaches are currently holding meetings on Wed. mornings and will be informed of the no-meeting policy during Club time.
  3. Long term: discuss options in the new year

6. Change in plans: Civil Rights assembly Jan. 17: swap out class/assembly during 2nd per.

  1. a. 1st session: 8:45, assembly 8:50-9:40, class 9:50-10:50. CTE, Performing Arts, Visual Arts, Math, PE
  2. b. 2nd session: Class, 8:45-9:50, assembly 10:00-10:50. Alt. Programs, English, Science, Social Studies, World Language
  3. c. This fixes problems of mixed classes, and the two assemblies will have nearly equal numbers of students.

7. From Curtis: take care of your mind, body, and soul over break.

  • Done. We are all full up on healthy living :)

8. Announcements at end of day – to be mostly eliminated, except for possibly 2 minutes on Fridays. Curtis believes in bell-to-bell learning and has broken his own rule. He might present something on CNS to speak to kids.

9. Tech needs to inform staff when major updates are going to be run.

  • Le Duc will share need for communication about updates with OSD communication